Painting Interior Walls

Floor Repair, Inner Skins, Furnishings, Interior Finishes
Aviongirl1995

Painting Interior Walls

Post by Aviongirl1995 »

Hello!
Does anyone have any experience with painting the inside walls? I know they’re some kind of covering over the aluminum so I was wondering if anyone had good/bad experiences getting paint to stick, how it wears etc.
Any information would be much appreciated! :D
Owner of 83 34W
Salty

Re: Painting Interior Walls

Post by Salty »

I just did a short wall - the former dining area - today. I used Gripper with a smooth surface foam roller. The priming went very well. Haven't cover coated it yet.

On my trailer, there was a sticky film on that wallpaper. I used lacquer thinner to clean it off before painting.
Last edited by Salty on Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

Aviongirl1995 wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:19 pm Hello!
Does anyone have any experience with painting the inside walls? I know they’re some kind of covering over the aluminum so I was wondering if anyone had good/bad experiences getting paint to stick, how it wears etc.
Any information would be much appreciated! :D
Check out a product called Cabinet Coat. It is a latex urethane acrylic product used for re-finishing cabinets and trim. We used it on the walls, ceiling, doors and trim of our trailer. It requires no additional primer unless there is bare wood.

It is incredibly hard and durable. Expect to pay $55 per gallon.

Before painting, we washed the surfaces with the following "brew" in a spray bottle:

4 tbl ammonia
2 tbl vinegar
1 tbl baking soda
1 qt hot water

Wipe with clean water when done. Here's the mfr website:

http://www.insl-x.com/product-detail/in ... oat-enamel
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

I've painted using Sherwin Williams Adhesion Primer. A foam roller works well, and apply your paint and primer lightly and you'll maintain the slight texture of the vinyl wall covering. In my opinion, the end result looks good when done this way.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Salty

Post by Salty »

KYAvion wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:13 am I've painted using Sherwin Williams Adhesion Primer. A foam roller works well, and apply your paint and primer lightly and you'll maintain the slight texture of the vinyl wall covering. In my opinion, the end result looks good when done this way.
+1
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
Aviongirl1995

Post by Aviongirl1995 »

Has anyone tried kilz2 latex primer on the walls?
Owner of 83 34W