Toilet Tales

Freshwater System, Grey and Black Tanks, LP Gas
silverloaf

Toilet Tales

Post by silverloaf »

I had a discussion recently with fellow member Salty about reconstructing a rotted out floor. I thought I would share something with the forum that I did with him; namely, installing the toilet.

I purchased a new Thetford toilet. The kit included the typical RV toilet gasket made from soft foam. As I began tightening down the toilet bolts, I came to the point where the toilet base would not contact the floor. The foam gasket had reached its limit of compliance. I was left with a gap of 1/4"-3/8" between the base and the floor. I feared any additional torque on the bolts would either distort or break the base or the floor flange.

I opted to use a residential wax ring instead of the toilet gasket. As I tightened the bolts, the wax compressed until the toilet base contacted the floor. Like a residential install, I applied a small bead of caulk at the floor joint to prevent any movement of the base.

Had I used the foam toilet gasket and filled the gap with copious amounts of caulk, It would still not prevent the toilet from rocking on the floor flange. At some point, it would have incurred a leak.

Removing the toilet might be a little messier with the wax ring. But that's a small price to pay for a rock-solid toilet mount that won't leak or shift. Note I used a bare wax ring, not the one with the plastic horn. The horn is too large to fit within the id of the floor flange.
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
Razorback

Re: Toilet Tales

Post by Razorback »

Thank you for that.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
Rostam

Post by Rostam »

silverloaf wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:31 pm I had a discussion recently with fellow member Salty about reconstructing a rotted out floor. I thought I would share something with the forum that I did with him; namely, installing the toilet.

I purchased a new Thetford toilet. The kit included the typical RV toilet gasket made from soft foam. As I began tightening down the toilet bolts, I came to the point where the toilet base would not contact the floor. The foam gasket had reached its limit of compliance. I was left with a gap of 1/4"-3/8" between the base and the floor. I feared any additional torque on the bolts would either distort or break the base or the floor flange.

I opted to use a residential wax ring instead of the toilet gasket. As I tightened the bolts, the wax compressed until the toilet base contacted the floor. Like a residential install, I applied a small bead of caulk at the floor joint to prevent any movement of the base.

Had I used the foam toilet gasket and filled the gap with copious amounts of caulk, It would still not prevent the toilet from rocking on the floor flange. At some point, it would have incurred a leak.

Removing the toilet might be a little messier with the wax ring. But that's a small price to pay for a rock-solid toilet mount that won't leak or shift. Note I used a bare wax ring, not the one with the plastic horn. The horn is too large to fit within the id of the floor flange.
Good info. Thanks for sharing it.
Would you mind sharing a link to the Thetford toilet you bought? I may re-place our toilet this spring,
and want to make sure the toilet I buy would fit -- We have a center bath Avion, so the bathroom space is tight (Unlike the rear bath models).
Thanks!
1978 Avion 26-H
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5
Gypsy Wytch

Post by Gypsy Wytch »

Not to butt in (so to speak :lol: ), but I have a 1988 34W and bought a Thetford. The original was a used plastic one with a fake wood padded top on the seat (UGH). I used Thetfords Toilet Conversion Chart (pdf file on their website) and got the Thetford Aqua Magic Style II (as my original toilet had the rinsing apparatus). Nice toilet, and not plastic or padded. But I also got the Thetford Waste Ball seal kit for it (was not foamy or wax). I removed the two bolts connect the bowl to the base, gave the bowl a slight twist and lifted it up and off to one side. Not much room to mess with it in my middle bath, but doable. Be sure and check the toilet height. I have short legs, so I thought the low profile would be the one, but it is REALLY low profile. Amazon exchanged for free to the high profile, thank goodness.
If that helps at all.
Attachments
thetford.jpg
thetford 2.jpg
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

That's what I love to hear...... good, practical tips for the rest of us!
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

Rostam wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:07 pm

Good info. Thanks for sharing it.
Would you mind sharing a link to the Thetford toilet you bought? I may re-place our toilet this spring,
and want to make sure the toilet I buy would fit -- We have a center bath Avion, so the bathroom space is tight (Unlike the rear bath models).
Thanks!
I also bought the Thetford Aqua Magic toilet.

The optional seal kit might be the key. I used the one that came with the toilet.
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
Rostam

Post by Rostam »

Thx guys!
1978 Avion 26-H
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5