Loud air conditioning

Water Heaters, Furnaces, Air Conditioners, Refrigerators, Ranges
Aviongirl1995

Loud air conditioning

Post by Aviongirl1995 »

I live in Florida and run my air most of the year. It keeps the place comfortable but I always feel like I’m in an airplane because of how loud the fans are on the a/c. If someone is talking to me from one end and I’m at other I can’t hear them, that’s how loud the fans are (even on low!!). A friend of mine lives in a 2007 airstream and you don’t even notice the air conditioner. How can I make mine more quiet?
Owner of 83 34W
Razorback

Re: Loud air conditioning

Post by Razorback »

Looking forward to the answers here.

You might have an AC like ours... DuoTherm Brisk Air of some sort? Ours is loud like you say, and hinders communicating from one end to the other.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
Aviongirl1995

Post by Aviongirl1995 »

Yep it sounds like we have the same. Do you have any experience with switching out the air conditioner? Could that help make it quieter?
Owner of 83 34W
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

Aviongirl1995 wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:50 pm Yep it sounds like we have the same. Do you have any experience with switching out the air conditioner? Could that help make it quieter?
Aviongirl-

Ours is loud as well. It appears to have been replaced well before we bought the trailer last year. But I don't know how well it was installed.

I think a lot of the operating noise has to do with how the unit is mounted on the roof as well the design of the trailer. Based upon what I have examined, our unit does not appear to be well-isolated from the roof shell. There is some sort of pad under the unit. But it is hard, possibly due to years in the sun.

Also, our Avion roof is relatively strong but rather compliant where cut-outs have occurred. When combined with the questionable roof isolation I mentioned above, I don't think it takes much effort for a 90-100lb. ac unit to turn a metal trailer into a very large speaker.

Of course, my comments offer no solutions. But they might offer some talking points for improving what you have or considerations when buying a new one.

Finally, I installed 3 MaxxAir, model 4500k, roof ventilators last year. They are 10-speed w/remote, have rain sensor and will automatically open if the inside temp exceeds 75 degrees F. They move a tremendous amount of air and fill the gap before turning on the ac.
https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Vents-and-F ... 4500K.html
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

I agree with Silverloaf’s comments.

Some other models of air conditioners “might” be quieter, but I don’t really know. Besides the foam seal and the 4 bolts that pull the upper and lower units together, I am not sure of other contact points that could cause noise. I would need to experiment with ours to see if it can get any quieter.

We’ve learned to live with it, I guess. Kind of “the nature of the beast”.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
Aviongirl1995

Post by Aviongirl1995 »

Yes, all things considered it’s a very minor problem. I did replace the filter in my AC which helped muffle the sound ever so slightly, but like you said, that may just be the way it is
Owner of 83 34W
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Check the screws holding the inside cover against the ceiling. If any are loose they will vibrate badly and create extra noise.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Airstream now uses ducted AC, but a 2007 wouldn’t have that. If you get a chance, ask your friend what unit they have and let us know.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
RISK

Post by RISK »

I recently replaced my old Carrier unit, which worked fine but was freight train loud, with a Dometic Penguin II low profile unit. It it certainly quieter than the Carrier, but still on the loud side. The main noise is from the fan itself, the compressor doesn’t add that much sound.

In my research I found that the new Brisk Air is the quietest and best rated, but the penguin was consistently in the top 5, plus I really wanted low profile.

You could try replacing the gasket and torque the bolts to the manufacture specs (mine was between 40-50 foot pounds) before a replacement. $30 vs $750-$1300...

Happy 4th from Inks Lakes State Park!

Ian
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
1977 Airstream Sovereign (in a million pieces)