Suburban heater removal

Water Heaters, Furnaces, Air Conditioners, Refrigerators, Ranges
Salty

Suburban heater removal

Post by Salty »

Seeing Razorbacks post regarding his Suburban find, it prompted me to wonder how the unit comes out of its cubby hole.
How do you go about removing the beast?
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
Razorback

Re: Suburban heater removal

Post by Razorback »

I will know in short order. I think it has something to do with an exterior screw on the outside vent that engages the upper port through the outer vent, then maybe some screws in the base from the inside???

I think I have the hard copy documentation for our furnace..... it is in the Avion..... I will check ASAP and let you know.

Otherwise, I know there is the gas line to disconnect, and the connector on the right side of the enclosure that comes from the thermostat..... but there has to be a power connector somewhere....
We’ll know soon.....

In edit: the power comes in that same 4-prong connector on the right side of the enclosure.
28CC6BA4-1D1D-4606-9349-4DFB01A1697E.jpeg
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
Salty

Post by Salty »

Thanks. lemme know.
Aside from wanting to close order inspect the unit, I've dropped a 10 Ga. pair next to it, to put it on its own circuit. gotta pull it the wire it.
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
RISK

Post by RISK »

I’d be curious about this too, my furnace just stopped working last year, it’s probably the sail switch, which would mean I’ll need to remove the unit to replace. KYavion mentioned in a thread way back that he made his easier to remove somehow. Don’t quite remember but it was in response to helping diagnose my furnace problem.

Ian
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
1977 Airstream Sovereign (in a million pieces)
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Best as I can tell: the guts of the furnace can be removed by removing one screw from the center of the upper vent (exhaust tube) on the outside of the trailer, then inside, shut off and disconnect the gas line, disconnect the power/thermostat connector on the right side of the enclosure, and remove one screw in the lower right corner, directly below the gas pipe that disappears into the furnace. That should allow the entire inside unit to be removed from the case.

(I will verify this sometime...)
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

See the last pic and corresponding text on Nov 21 at 9:19pm for where I cut the casing to make removal easier. Also, I never installed that screw through the vent.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=130
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Salty

Post by Salty »

Well, I can confirm for those who didn't already know. Two screws up front on the base behind the front cover, one screw in back outside at the vent , electrical plug at the side ( one red+, one yellow-, two blue for thermostat) and the gas connection. Then it just slides out. Thanks for the input guys.
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250