valances and sheers

Floor Repair, Inner Skins, Furnishings, Interior Finishes
DJ18

valances and sheers

Post by DJ18 »

the window treatments in our 85 25' are pretty impressive. the drapes and valances are perfect, the sheers were rotten. The sheers are gone and I probably won't replace them. yesterday, I decided I really didn't like the valances in the bedroom, so carefully removed them. In my opinion, the top of the drapes look good, and I like the look without them. Next was the upholstery valance over the kitchen sink. no second thoughts about that. Then the little ruffle over the couch. That too, was easy. more difficult was the decision to take out the valances on either side of the couch. My DH doesn't like them, and once I got started, neither did I. But the indirect lighting is behind them, and we do like that, a lot. So we got some 5" wide x .5" pine boards, and cut them to fit. We kept the wood blocks and braces for the valances and screwed the wood on to them. we still have to tweak the stain, but the new wooden accent pieces hide the indirect lighting and match the cabinets closely.

picked up a few samples of cork flooring, it looks great. I don't think we will do that though, for now anyway.
debbie
1985 Avion 25H
KYAvion
Site Admin

Re: valances and sheers

Post by KYAvion »

Pics?
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
DJ18

Post by DJ18 »

I will, as soon as the stain is evened up and I'm happy with the match. one part of the board was splotchy for some reason. pine being such a different looking grain, I'm not sure stain is going to work. but the other one looks good, so I'll keep trying.
debbie
1985 Avion 25H
Salty

Post by Salty »

Valances - couldn't agree more. Aside from looking as though they came from a Vincent Price horror movie, I just don't care for them.
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
DJ18

Post by DJ18 »

HA! that's true. What made up my mind about the bedroom ones, was laying down for a moment on the bed. I'd just finished velcroing the reflextic up in the louvered window and wanted to see if it felt warmer. Laying there, looking up at the ceiling, the soft lights, the satiny pleated shades, the matching valances, the padding around the bed.......kind of reminiscent of a coffin. want the bedroom restful, but not that restful.

the whole idea of wood to hide the indirect lighting fixtures was so we could stain it. I don't think that is going to be our best option. We could paint it or cover it, but it's heavier than I'm comfortable with. I'm going to look for a lighter material, like an acrylic or styrene base board material.

I'm afraid my husband is getting sucked into the somewhat oxidized aluminum rabbit hole. I'm all for just washing it, and using it.

today we washed some windows, they were much dirtier than I realized. The outside does need a lot of detailing. but bit by bit.

we will probably take a short camping trip tomorrow. nothing too far or too adventurous, just enough to get the feel for the hitch up and maneuvering of the bigger, heavier trailer.
debbie
1985 Avion 25H
DJ18

Post by DJ18 »

Went camping instead of working on the valances. We’ll leave them for now.
118D754C-72F0-4245-B8D5-8BFAF1D38FAD.jpeg
Attachments
0E4CB4F7-6423-409F-A2E0-F9C73A0515D5.jpeg
debbie
1985 Avion 25H