Need help turning the magic chef oven on in a ‘66

Water Heaters, Furnaces, Air Conditioners, Refrigerators, Ranges
Jskateborders

Need help turning the magic chef oven on in a ‘66

Post by Jskateborders »

Hello everyone,

We are currently living in a 66 avion (going on 3 weeks) and we are just now getting around to using the oven but I can’t seem to figure out how to get the pilot lit. We have a manual which shows a slotted shutoff valve which is supposed to be turned in line with line. There is a screw which I have turned in line, all the way clockwise and all the way counter to no avail. Any help would be much appreciated!
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
RISK

Re: Need help turning the magic chef oven on in a ‘66

Post by RISK »

Hey there,

Welcome and love your user name. I still skate, but at my age I just do it much more carefully. Namely my Heeler pulling me at full speed around the neighborhood on my longboard.

If I were trouble shooting this oven these are the steps I would take:

1) is it getting gas? Do the burners on the stove top work and stay lit?
2) I’d clean out the burner tube, there is undoubtedly a considerable amount of rust in there.
3) are your other propane devices working? Working well? There could easily be a vapor lock going on somewhere in your system.
4) are all fittings tight and leak free? ALL of them?

So, I’d start with the health of the system overall then narrow down the likely culprits.

Sorry I can’t be more precise but the above is something you should do if you haven’t already. Also, how’s your carbon monoxide detector?

Ian
Jskateborders wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 7:50 pm Hello everyone,

We are currently living in a 66 avion (going on 3 weeks) and we are just now getting around to using the oven but I can’t seem to figure out how to get the pilot lit. We have a manual which shows a slotted shutoff valve which is supposed to be turned in line with line. There is a screw which I have turned in line, all the way clockwise and all the way counter to no avail. Any help would be much appreciated!
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
1977 Airstream Sovereign (in a million pieces)
Razorback

Re: Need help turning the magic chef oven on in a ‘66

Post by Razorback »

Welcome to the forum!

I wish I knew more about that particular stove, but......

I agree with the previous suggestions.

Where is the actual pilot light?
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???