Fridge Question

Water Heaters, Furnaces, Air Conditioners, Refrigerators, Ranges
riverbend

Fridge Question

Post by riverbend »

Good morning. Long time lurker 1st time poster. I've been working on a 1983 model 30' for about a year and getting close to getting her on the road. Just got a new electrical panel installed over the weekend.

Long story short the fridge was working back in late winter/spring and haven't tried to use it until Saturday. Its a Dometic RM 1300 AES, original to the unit. It did not cool on AC power only Saturday. I hooked up gas yesterday and it started cooling. However, it was cycling where the pilot light would shut off and relight every minute or so. Unplugged the power supply and the pilot light shut off.
Seems to not be working on AC only, and working on gas but the cycling on and off didn't seem right when on gas and plugged up.
Thoughts?
Rostam

Re: Fridge Question

Post by Rostam »

Hi,
You can use an ohmmeter to measure the resistance in the heating element. The user manual of the fridge should specify the expected value. If its measured lower, it means its gone bad. If you can find the heating element, replace it and see if that fixes the fridge operation in AC. I could not find the heating element for our 1978 Avion's Dometic fridge. Dometic said its discontinued and they do not produce a replacement part (I switched to a small residential unit fridge).
Hope this helps.
1978 Avion 26-H
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5
Salty

Re: Fridge Question

Post by Salty »

it could be the heating element or it could be the control board. The electric heating elements can be had aftermarket for many fridges and Dinosaur electric may have a board for your fridge, it's worth looking up.
As for the propane operation, assuming you had ample propane available, this too can be the control board; or, a dirty burner/jet or a bad gas solenoid.
the gas solenoid is pretty universal, the jet varies in size, but they are readily available.I'd rule out the igniter since it relit every so often. The dometic manual for the fridge will describe how to adjust the flame to get the optimum color.
I think the Dinosaur control boards go for $150 or so, heating elements for $35 - $70.
This business may be of use to you:

https://thedometicguy.com/
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.