can't fill fresh water tank

Freshwater System, Grey and Black Tanks, LP Gas
DJ18

can't fill fresh water tank

Post by DJ18 »

I'm hoping for some advice on our new to us 85 Avion 25H. today we tried to fill the fresh water tank and were unable to. I put the hose in the fill inlet, and water went in for a few minutes then begin to come back out the fill inlet, as if it were clogged. I've read in the manual there is a bypass valve in the hose compartment and I can only find a blue handled faucet handle by the city water inlet. We turned that handle and it made no difference. I begin to see water coming out of the belly pan so we quit trying. I went in and some water had leaked from under the bathroom cabinet. I think somehow the water is overflowing when I try to put it in, but of course I don't know where to check that inlet hose or the tank. According to the control panel, all tanks are empty. I know the people we bought it from used it on city water every year, and have also used the fresh water tank. Any hints please?
debbie
1985 Avion 25H
Razorback

Re: can't fill fresh water tank

Post by Razorback »

Is the tank already full?

There is a drain valve for the water tank. I don't know where yours is, but mine is in a road-side lower compartment. open it up and water should start draining from the main tank onto the ground.

There is another valve near where you would screw in a water hose (as opposed to the fill door that you have already found). That valve is for filling the main tank while you are connected to "city water".

Otherwise, the opening behind the fill door should dump water directly into the main tank.

Can you call the folks you got it from?
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Also in the owners manual, there is a "better-than-nothing" diagram of the water system. Maybe that can help?
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

On the other side of the inlet/fill port door for filling the water tank is a large hose that the water passes through to get into the tank. Try pulling out some drawers or open the cabinets that would allow that hose to be visible, and make sure that hose is not crimped or kinked for some reason. As Razorback said though, it sounds like your tank is already full (although you said the tank level says it’s empty). Below the fill port door should be a drain valve—probably on the side of the frame or inside a compartment as Razorback mentioned. Open that valve and see if water comes out.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
DJ18

Post by DJ18 »

will check those things. If I'm guessing right, the pull out pantry or the furnace area is the closest guess to any cabinetry on the inside....I thought the pull out pantry drawer felt like it was bumping up on something...HMM
debbie
1985 Avion 25H
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Keep us posted. The water fill hose is pretty burley, so it would have to be smashed pretty good to be crimped. Here’s an example of what it looks like... https://www.amazon.com/Automotive-Autho ... B07B4MSFWP
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
DJ18

Post by DJ18 »

I feel silly! I did go out and opened the fresh water tank drain, and yep, water came out. 5 minutes later it was still coming out. we just got home and the water on the ground lets me know that tank was full. Which means the control panel doesn't read for the tank, and maybe not the grey or black tanks either. I will try filling it again, and let the pump run longer to prime. thanks!
debbie
1985 Avion 25H
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Woo hoo!!!!

Sometimes it is the simple thing!

Our tank sensors work for the water, but not good for the grey tank. I have not looked into it.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
DJ18

Post by DJ18 »

So delighted! water pump pumping away. good flow. does bump on too frequently, so turned it off and will check water lines in the morning.

Thanks again for the help, it's so good to know there is someplace to ask for it!

tomorrow, check fuse in monitor panel, but there are some crispy wires in there.

turn on water heater, as po said it works on electric but he doesn't know about gas.

this trailer is constantly amazing me. recessed lighting? laundry hamper? pantry drawer?

today I tackled the only ugly part of the trailer, the sagging and wrinkled vinyl wall paper in the bathroom. Much to my delight, under the paper was the other side of the beautiful paneling on the "hall way", only unstained. It really is stunning.

Constantly finding sweet surprises in this 35 yr old gem.

I have yet to deal with my computer and photo hosting. but when I do!
debbie
1985 Avion 25H
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Quickly becoming a happy camper!

Speaking of that..... what are your plans for your Avion?

Using ours is my favorite pastime! I still have to work and I live my job, but I always look forward to getting away with the Avion!
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W