seam maintenance

Shell/Exterior Maintenance, Windows, Gaskets, Awnings, Vent Lids/Covers, Rockguards
DJ18

seam maintenance

Post by DJ18 »

I've been looking closely at the seams where the aluminum panels over lap. I see a silver colored putty like substance in the seams. there is some cracking of this substance, yet we have not seen any leaks in the camper.

well, the big leak through the broken vent cover, but that's not a leak from a seam, and it's fixed!

I searched here and learned about parbond so I assume that is what is recommended to reseal and maintain those seams. My husband thinks we are only seeing the edges of the sealing material, and that there is do you wait to see leaks? and how do you see leaks anyway?

I read about water getting in and ending up soaking the floor and rotting the subfloor. we have a nice solid, dry floor and I hope to keep it that way.
debbie
1985 Avion 25H
Salty

Re: seam maintenance

Post by Salty »

The problem areas for leaks on Avions, at least the consensus I've learned (anyone feel free to correct me or add to the list) is as follows

The rock guard hinge rivets
The guard over the door
The Awning support attachments
Beltline
Windows
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Check where the panels SHOULD overlap under the fridge vent cover.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
DJ18

Post by DJ18 »

thank you! We will check those. I have noticed the awning support attachments looked like they needed attention. also, have seen wet spots at the base of door way, so will check that. I thought it was water coming in when we opened the door. we are doing the belt line trim right now, so will get something like parbond for the gaps we have noticed.

DH checked the roof pretty well, said everything seemed well sealed up there. I'll mention the fridge vent cover area. He did say the roof is well sealed, but with a black roofing cement on the seams. :evil: that will be a big job to deal with.

I'm not agile, but really want to get on the roof sometime soon. so far, there is plenty to do on the ground. painting the bumper and tongue and finishing the trim tomorrow
debbie
1985 Avion 25H
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

The awning rail along the length of the trailer was the source of most of my leaks. I put Eternabond along the entire thing. Per Razorback’s advice, I also applied sealant for the first 10-12” along the underside of the rail.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Overdrive

Post by Overdrive »

I’ve used eternabond before on my buddy’s RV. I bought three rolls for my Avion t seal the long roof seams. It’s not leaking but the sealant that’s on there is old and hardened. Another thing that you can use is HVAC duct sealant. It will bond to aluminum fiberglass and steel.
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

I also ran Eternabond down the entire main seam, as well as used it to cover all the vent flanges. To apply Eternabond to the main seam you need to remove the AC unit, but that’s not a big deal.

Once you apply the Eternabond it’s pretty much down for good. So while probably overkill, I’d still touch up the seams with Parbond or a polyurethane sealant before applying the Eternabond. Clean with alcohol first for a good bond.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R