Brakes, bearings and centrimatics...

Axles and Suspension Systems, Brakes, Brake Controllers, Wheels, Tires
RISK

Brakes, bearings and centrimatics...

Post by RISK »

Just finished a brake and bearing job on my friends’78 26H, while pretty straight forward I did notice that the new Dexter brake assemblies have adjustment windows that are nearly impossible to get to due to the way the spindle angles down.
I pre-adjusted them fairly well and took it to a nearby football stadium (high school football stadiums are massive here) to set the shoes. Basically high speed (30-40 mph) then use the brake controller to slow the rig down multiple times. The brakes now work great, for now.

What concerns me is the future adjustments... that’s their problem now, I really did them a favor so they can take it up when it needs to happen.

Tomorrow I’m starting on my brakes and ordered the Never Adjust version of the same Dexter brakes. You still need to do a pre set, and the set in process can take longer, but the idea is that I won’t have to deal with adjustments until I replace the brakes in the future. I also ordered a set of Centrimatics, because hey, why not? My trailer tows really well mostly but I really want to get to the point where I can leave a marble on the table and it’ll be there when I get to my destination...

The point of this ramble is to ask if any of you, my Avion kin, have gone with the combo I’ve mentioned above? Or either for that matter.

Thanks for reading...

Ian
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
1977 Airstream Sovereign (in a million pieces)
silverloaf

Re: Brakes, bearings and centrimatics...

Post by silverloaf »

Ian,

I changed out the brake and backing plate assys (BABPA) as well as the hub and drum assys (HADA) on our 88 30-P in late 2017. I went with the never-adjust brake hassle like you. I had to be careful installing the BABPA because there was a left and a right.

I, too, had trouble adjusting the brakes. Dexter put the adjustment slot too close to the 1/2 shaft to use a standard tool. I called Dexter. Here's what I learned:
  • The brakes are pre-set. I presume this means to a new drum. It might not be true with an old drum. However, a few reverse-and-stop laps around a parking lot should get them into adjustment.
  • The Dexter trailer expert retired in 2018. I was told he created and they released a special shaped adjustment tool for never-adjust brake users.
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P