Break Away Switch

Axles and Suspension Systems, Brakes, Brake Controllers, Wheels, Tires
MNash56

Break Away Switch

Post by MNash56 »

Would my 1970 Suntrail have an emergency break away switch for the brakes? I don't see any evidence of one and no mention of one in the owners manual.

Thanks for any input.
Mark Nash
1970 19' Suntrail Sport Special
silverloaf

Re: Break Away Switch

Post by silverloaf »

MNash56 wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:46 pm Would my 1970 Suntrail have an emergency break away switch for the brakes? I don't see any evidence of one and no mention of one in the owners manual.

Thanks for any input.
Your trailer may have been built before breakaway switches were introduced.

Like most, mine is located on the tongue near the battery for both access and power supply. One wire gets connected to the power supply; the other to the positive wires of the electric brakes. The rip chord is attached to one of the safety chains.

Here is a website that lists latest requirements by State:
https://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/trailer-brakes/

Don't leave home without one.
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

I think pretty much every trailer I've seen has the breakaway ripcord connected the way you described, and I use to install mine just the way you mentioned. I could be mistaken, but I think ideally the ripcord is suppose to be attached to a place on the vehicle separate from the hitch. The idea being that if trailer somehow becomes detached from the trailer (e.g., receiver failure, chain breakage), then the breakaway switch will activate and prevent a runaway trailer.

So in this case, the breakaway ripcord should be longer than the chains, so the activation of the breakaway switch is the last thing to happen. As long as the umbilical is long enough, the tow vehicle brake controller would still handle the trailer brakes if only connected by the chains.

If the breakaway switch isn't attached directly to a point on the tow vehicle, I'd think the next best place would be the hitch.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

Mine was torn up when I bought it. I bought a new one and will install it soon. I wasn't aware the chord was long enough to connect to the receiver. I'll check it out.

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

You may have to extend the cable. Here's s pic I found online. I don't know about those chain hooks being installed upside down, but the pic does show the breakaway cord attached to a separate point on the tow vehicle.
IMG_2723.JPG
IMG_2723.JPG (68.33 KiB) Viewed 1441 times
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
MNash56

Post by MNash56 »

Thanks for the link Silverloaf. Given the weight of my trailer (<3000lbs) I may not be required to have one. But I guess I’ll research what it would involve to wire one in.
Mark Nash
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

The wiring is really simple so there's really no reason not to install one. It's simply powered by your trailer battery. The breakaway plunger piece is simply a switch--when it's pulled out power is supplied to the trailer brakes.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

This pic shows two splices. You could also run a dedicated wire from the breakaway switch to the positive terminal of your battery, and just splice the other wire from the breakaway switch with the wire feeding your trailer's brakes.

Just think of the breakaway switch as a basic light switch. When that plunger is pulled, it's just connecting two wires together so that 12v can be supplied to your trailer brakes.
IMG_2724.JPG
IMG_2724.JPG (29.59 KiB) Viewed 1437 times
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

MNash56 wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:44 pm Thanks for the link Silverloaf. Given the weight of my trailer (<3000lbs) I may not be required to have one. But I guess I’ll research what it would involve to wire one in.
You're sure your trailer even has electric brakes?

I have a utility trailer rated at 3000lbs and no brakes.

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
MNash56

Post by MNash56 »

Definitely. Just tested them yesterday with my tv and they’re working.
Mark Nash