30lb Propane Cylinders Recertified

Freshwater System, Grey and Black Tanks, LP Gas
Razorback

30lb Propane Cylinders Recertified

Post by Razorback »

Recently when I had Tractor Supply fill one of our propane cylinders, the guy pointed out that they had not been certified in awhile. TSC doesn’t do that, so I found a local propane company that does it. $5 per cylinder! I thought the was downright reasonable! Had them top off the cylinders while they had them.... $15.99 total.

While I have the cylinders off I am taking the time to refurbish the support tray: cleaned, then painted the tray with the same Krylon paint that I had used on the rock guard, and will replace the threaded rod while I am at it. Need to stop by TSC and look for some stainless bolts to secure the tray back onto the frame.... the ones I took out were pretty corroded, but the holes in the frame look good.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
KYAvion
Site Admin

Re: 30lb Propane Cylinders Recertified

Post by KYAvion »

Recertification for $5 isn't bad at all. With the exception of Tractor Supply, I've never had a place pay attention to the date stamped. Another thing on my to-do list. It's tough to beat the cost per refill at Tractor Supply.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

KYAvion wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 1:38 pm Recertification for $5 isn't bad at all. With the exception of Tractor Supply, I've never had a place pay attention to the date stamped. Another thing on my to-do list. It's tough to beat the cost per refill at Tractor Supply.
For the first few refills of propane I used to go to our local Camping World on Wednesdays when they had their 25% off..... started going to TSC when I figured out they had a very good every day price that STILL beat CW’s “sale” price. Plus, I have always had an affinity for stores that smell like feed, fertilizer, and pesticides!
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Got the tray finished and reinstalled this morning. Looks a far sight better than it did!

Before:
IMG_1383.JPG
IMG_1383.JPG (33.37 KiB) Viewed 10923 times
After:
IMG_2972.JPG
IMG_2972.JPG (29.07 KiB) Viewed 10923 times

Now, I need to do something about those safety chains. I might try some flat black paint.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
Rostam

Post by Rostam »

Not to high jack this thread, but I have a quick question: is it ok to spray paint LP tanks? Thanks!
1978 Avion 26-H
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Rostam wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 10:46 pm Not to high jack this thread, but I have a quick question: is it ok to spray paint LP tanks? Thanks!
I guess so. The steel ones are generally painted white. I think I would keep them a lighter color.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
MinnCanoeGuy

Post by MinnCanoeGuy »

I had my tanks recertified at a welding gas supply dealer that I deal with in Lincoln Park Michigan. The cost to me was $20 each. So if someone does it for $5.00 a deal for sure. However, I can't believe that they did the actual required test. Only a welding supply gas dealer to my knowledge has that capability. Who cares anyway as all we want to do is fill a tank!
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Well, I guess I would like to know if it was done correctly. I wonder why a bulk propane dealer couldn’t/wouldn’t know how to do it?
I know my cylinders are in good shape.
Nice new stickers!
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
MinnCanoeGuy

Post by MinnCanoeGuy »

A bulk propane dealer should be able to do it correctly. They must be able to pressure check the tanks. But if they didn't pressure check the cylinder. As I stated tanks should be OK but in the off chance a weld for some reason is defective then a pressure check to the required psi should fail the tank. It is great that a bulk dealer can do the recert for $5. As I stated my tanks a Bakers Welding Supply were $20 each.
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Here’s something kind of funny....,,

When I was first calling around trying to find a place that recertifies these things, the lady that answered said it would cost NOTHING!!! I told her that “nothing” surprised me. So she said that she would ask the guy who does it when he returned from making a bulk delivery.
She called back and said $5 per tank!

I think I won’t ask any more questions!
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W