Fridge wiring issue

Water Heaters, Furnaces, Air Conditioners, Refrigerators, Ranges
KYAvion
Site Admin

Fridge wiring issue

Post by KYAvion »

Nplocek's original post split to here...

Hey guys! New to the site. I've been reading a lot but this is my first post. I'm hoping to get some help with a couple of electrical issues on my '81 30P. The trailer had a lot of water damage when I got it and the PO had done some poor repairs/removing of parts to make it a real can of worms for me.

The first problem is that I don't seem to have any power to my refrigerator and I can't find which circuit it is on. I have power on all the circuits in the book (all lights, fans, 12v outlets, ect. work). It would make sense that it is connected to the door side circuit but there is power to everything on that side. Does anyone know what circuit it is connected to so I can try to chase down the connection (or short, it seem to have continuity when I ohm it)?
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
KYAvion
Site Admin

Re: Fridge wiring issue

Post by KYAvion »

Nplocek - When you remove the fridge access panel outside the trailer, have you located the 12v wire that feeds the fridge? If not, locate that wire first and test it to determine if it's carrying 12v or not.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Nplocek

Post by Nplocek »

KYAvion - The wire in the access panel doesn't have any voltage. It is only a single wire, so it has to be the end of a circuit. I just can't figure out what else would be on that circuit so I can check connections. Everyone I've checked has looked good. I would think if there was a short it would short out the whole circuit?
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

How about your ground wire for the fridge? Is it connected?

So I take it you can't trace the 12v and ground back to anything?

If the 12v supply and ground look fine, I wouldn't spend too much time trying too figure out what the issue is (unless you can easily trace the wires). Instead, I'd start fresh and run a new 12v and ground to the fridge.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Nplocek

Post by Nplocek »

I ran a new line from the furnace since it was short and easy. I should be under max amps from my calculations. It has power! :D
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Woo Hooo!!!
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

I assume the 12v for your fridge is just to power the display and inside light? If you were to ever switch to a 12v compressor based fridge (like a Norcold) be sure the MAIN wire size is adequate for both the furnace and the fridge, or better yet run a dedicated line for the fridge. It's important the amp draw isn't too much for the wire size.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Actually does your fridge run on propane and AC, or propane, AC, AND DC? If the latter, check and see if the 12v amp draw is listed on a tag or nameplate somewhere. When running on DC I suspect it probably draws quite a few amps, in which case you'd want to run a dedicated line.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Nplocek

Post by Nplocek »

The fridge is only a two way, so no DC. I considered a dedicated line but I wasn't sure of the easiest way to get it over to the other side of the camper. That's why I ran the calculations for adding a line off of the furnace. I didn't really want to do it since that circuit has more on it than any other circuit but it was still within a save amount.
The fridge and furnace worked well over the weekend. Hope everyone else got a chance to get out too. :D
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

Our '88 30P has an accordion door between kitchen and sleeping area. I'm thinking of cutting a slot through the header to run wire from either side of the trailer.
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P