Fridge issue

Water Heaters, Furnaces, Air Conditioners, Refrigerators, Ranges
Salty

Re: Fridge issue

Post by Salty »

NP, just so glad I wasn't having a senior moment!
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
Rostam

Post by Rostam »

So, I decided to take out the faulty Dometic fridge and install a residential fridge in it place. Today, I took out the fridge. It was actually pretty simple and I did it on my own (was thinking of asking a friend to give me a hand, but it was not necessary). First took out the doors. Then took out 6 screws holding the fridge in front. Then disconnected propane and shore power, and took out a bunch of screw in the back of the fridge via the access door, and managed to slide the fridge out. The amount of filth that I found was unbelievable. Cleaned up the area, but still need to clean it up tomorrow with Clorox. Then I must find a fridge that fits in the opening.
1978 Avion 26-H
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

Rostam-

I know that residential fridges are significantly cheaper than trailer type. However, I’ve seen mixed reviews as to whether they can withstand road vibration and shaking forces.

What’s your take on their durability in motion?
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
Rostam

Post by Rostam »

Silverloaf,

Here is how I think about it. A residential fridge can be had for about 1/4 the price of an RV fridge ($300 to $400 vs $1200 to $1600). I figure if even the fridge fails once (and I buy another), I am still paying half the price of an RV fridge. We do not travel long distances for now as both my wife and I work full time ( Our longest trip has been 1 week), so I don't expect to see a failure. We do plan to accumulate time offs for a longer trip, hopefully out west. But, I am hopeful this will work at least short term.
1978 Avion 26-H
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

Yes, I’ve used the same logic many times before.

I suppose one could purchase an inverter (for traveling) and small generator (for boondocking) and still be money ahead.

We haven’t fired up our fridge since buying the trailer. If it’s dead, we could be following the same path as you.

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
Rostam

Post by Rostam »

yes, I have also thought about getting an inverter. I also want to research solar panels. There are flexible solar panels that cost less than $150. I think I can at least add 4 on the roof of our 26-H.
1978 Avion 26-H
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5
Salty

Post by Salty »

Don't Solar panels need to have some air circulation beneath them?
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
Rostam

Post by Rostam »

Not sure. That would be part of my research :)

BTW, here are the panels I'm talking about:

https://www.amazon.com/HQST-Monocrystal ... lar+panels
1978 Avion 26-H
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Regarding the fridge and vibration issues, I would think the Avion's smooth suspension would help in this area. Also, many high end coaches and bus conversions use full size residential fridges.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

Ever the salesman, KY!

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P