Avion overwhelm

A little about yourself
silverbird

Avion overwhelm

Post by silverbird »

I know this is an old and worn topic but I am befuddled. Just purchased a 1978 Avion and it has leaks..one large one streaming below the front window which has rotted a section of the floor and one by the dinette window which is trickling a path to one of the outlets. A mobile RV guy spent 6 hours sealing stuff and it didn't do anything to stop these leaks. I have read Mr. Rahm's excellent articles on usual leak areas and window removal and replacement...but I am not handy and haven't yet found reliable help. Do I really need to remove the window if there is a leak around it? Couldn't I just spread as much of the right goo or tape or caulk every last rivet and seam on the trailer and wouldn't that seal out any leaks? Or is there a mobile guy or gal who really knows their way around these things? Or any ideas on finding someone handy who can read and follow the instructions on this site? The local Airstream service man told me I would be chasing leaks forever on an older aluminum trailer which is very discouraging...it shouldn't be that hard...should it?
KYAvion
Site Admin

Re: Avion overwhelm

Post by KYAvion »

There are definitely some key places to seal. The brackets that hold the awning arms to the trailer is a potential trouble spot. I’m your case, the center awning bracket up could be the cause of one of your leaks. The hinge that attaches your front rock guard (if you have one?) could also need sealed, as well as the exterior lights at the front of the trailer. There are several potential trouble spots, but getting a leak free trailer isn’t impossible.

Where did your person seal, and what type of sealant did they use? Did they seal the roof seam and any rivets on the roof?
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Rostam

Post by Rostam »

Hi,

I also have a 1978 Avion. When I bought it 3 years ago, the leaks had damaged the floor in front and back of the trailer. Before fixing the floor, I used Eternabond Alumibond tape to seal all the seams and rivets on the roof (see the attached photo). I also used Parbond sealer to seal the perimeter of all windows and also seal all the seams not on the roof. I have not had any leak in 3 years. So, what the Airstream dealer told you about chasing leaks forever is inaccurate. I am not super handy, but I did all the work myself. If you are not handy and can't do this work yourself, you could contact Chuck Cayo (his grand father started the Avion company). He is an expert when it comes to fixing these trailers.

Here is their contact info:

Address: 4835 N M 140
Watervliet, Michigan 49098
Phone: (269) 463-5068

Good luck!
Attachments
IMG_0051.JPG
1978 Avion 26-H
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

I have not heard of Mr. Rahmn or those articles. Do you have a link?

Also, what city/state are you in?
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Rostam- when you sealed all the windows and seams, did you find you liked the clear or silver Parbond better?
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
silverbird

Post by silverbird »

KYAvion wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:18 pm There are definitely some key places to seal. The brackets that hold the awning arms to the trailer is a potential trouble spot. I’m your case, the center awning bracket up could be the cause of one of your leaks. The hinge that attaches your front rock guard (if you have one?) could also need sealed, as well as the exterior lights at the front of the trailer. There are several potential trouble spots, but getting a leak free trailer isn’t impossible.

Where did your person seal, and what type of sealant did they use? Did they seal the roof seam and any rivets on the roof?
Thank you for responding and for the info. The Rv guy used a self leveling material on the roof seams and I believe silicone around rivets and Windows..it's clear, so I think it is silicone. I noticed Bill Rahm recommended Eternabond tape and Parabond (?) as the other responder does...the mobile RV guy said he didn't like eternabond. Ugh. Bill Rahm's articles and photos are on the silveravion site...and even more extensive articles by him on another link..will try to find again...
The trailer and I are in Leelanau county, Michigan.
Rostam

Post by Rostam »

KYAvion wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:22 pm Rostam- when you sealed all the windows and seams, did you find you liked the clear or silver Parbond better?
I used silver parbond. I like it. Have not tried clear parbond.
1978 Avion 26-H
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5
Rostam

Post by Rostam »

If you are in Michigan, then just contact Chuck Cayo. He is pretty close to you.

I have read somewhere not to use silicone, but I don't remember the reason for it.
1978 Avion 26-H
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

I agree with Rostam. If you aren’t wanting to do the work yourself, I’d take the trailer over to Cayo. That’s your bet bet.

Rostam- I think I’ve read that older silicone may react funny with aluminum. I seem to recall this isn’t the case with today’s silicone, and I certainly can’t say what the difference might be. I think the biggest reason people don’t like to use silicone on aluminum trailers today is that it is so hard to remove. That said, I can’t see polyurethane sealants like Trempro being particularly easy to remove either.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Rostam

Post by Rostam »

KYAvion wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:51 pm ...
Rostam- I think I’ve read that older silicone may react funny with aluminum. I seem to recall this isn’t the case with today’s silicone, and I certainly can’t say what the difference might be. I think the biggest reason people don’t like to use silicone on aluminum trailers today is that it is so hard to remove. That said, I can’t see polyurethane sealants like Trempro being particularly easy to remove either.
Thanks for the info on silicone sealers.
1978 Avion 26-H
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5