Flat tire change

Axles and Suspension Systems, Brakes, Brake Controllers, Wheels, Tires
Rostam

Flat tire change

Post by Rostam »

I had bought a tire changing ramp a couple of years ago (knock on wood, I have never had to use it), but then realized due to Avion's independent suspension, they may not actually work. How do you all replace the tires? Do you use a bottle jack? How do you distribute the force so the frame is not damaged? Thank!
1978 Avion 26-H
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5
Razorback

Re: Flat tire change

Post by Razorback »

I have wondered about those tire changing ramps. And, I have wondered if 2 would be needed for our 3-axle trailer.

For a 2-axle trailer, I could envision driving a tire up on the ramp, which should take a lot of load off of the tire that needs to be changed. Then, maybe use a scissor jack under the failed tire’s axle to get it off of the ground enough to change it. I would need to test that idea.....

Think that would work?
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

I’d make a ramp with LEGO blocks and then, if needed, lift the flat tire like Razorback said.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Rostam

Post by Rostam »

Thanks guys,
I'll probably test this in my driveway sometimes to make sure it works.
1978 Avion 26-H
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

Rostam wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:51 pm Thanks guys,
I'll probably test this in my driveway sometimes to make sure it works.
I'm eager to learn of your findings. The problem I envision with any lifting device is how to keep the jack from slipping on an axle that is not parallel to the jack's point of contact.

I've often thought about fabricating a lifting pad. The axle end would have a rubber surface while the bottle jack end would have a counterbore to keep the jack secure to the pad. Of course, I haven't had time to work on it yet.

Perhaps you can prove me right or wrong on this as you perform your experiment.
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

I can also lift both tires on my 30R off the ground with this....
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Powerbuilt- ... /203116783

That 3 ton version weighs about 25 lbs. They make a 2 ton version that weighs about 15 lbs, but it has about 2.5” less lift.

My trailer has a MorRyde suspension though, so I’m not sure how the lift needed to raise a tire compares to Avions with the other suspension systems.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

KYAvion wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 9:12 pm I can also lift both tires on my 30R off the ground with this....
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Powerbuilt- ... /203116783

That 3 ton version weighs about 25 lbs. They make a 2 ton version that weighs about 15 lbs, but it has about 2.5” less lift.

My trailer has a MorRyde suspension though, so I’m not sure how the lift needed to raise a tire compares to Avions with the other suspension systems.
Our trailer has the OEM adjust-a-ride suspension system. I rebuilt the system in late 2017 and have yet to put it through its paces. There is no way I'm going to tear out a suspension system for something a bit better.

However, I haven't found a jack with a low enough profile to lift the trailer at the axle's spring support.

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Not sure what you mean? I wasn’t suggesting you change out your suspension.

The jack I posted lifts my trailer by the frame.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

KY-

I never took it that way, my friend. I just made an off-the-cuff comment about the work and cost involved to change out the system like your previous owner did.

I'll check out the jack you recommended. I presume it's much lower profile to fit under the frame.

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Yeah, I don't know if I would have gone through the trouble of switching it out either. It does give a really smooth ride though, and I do like the extra ground clearance. That said, I've got nothing to compare it to other than the torsion axles on my previous trailer.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R