Mini Split Install: Tips-Tricks-Ideas?

Water Heaters, Furnaces, Air Conditioners, Refrigerators, Ranges
Johnatron

Mini Split Install: Tips-Tricks-Ideas?

Post by Johnatron »

Hey gang,
It’s starting to warm up here in South Texas. We hit 100 yesterday. As I continue the renovation process on the 34V, installing the new AC system is near the top of the list.

I’m about to upgrade the electrical system to 240V/60amp. Should be pretty straightforward, from what I gather. After that’s done, I’ll be putting in a mini split. I had dreams of building a central duct system, but it has proven to me to be more beneficial to go with a ductless unit.

I searched and researched over 50 different systems, and finally landed on the Gree Sapphire 12kbtu(link below). At $1,600, and with ratings at 30.5 SEER and 14 HSPF, this unit should fair nicely in most climates.

I’m at the point where I need figure out where to place the head unit. I’m aiming towards above the door, but I’m also thinking about redesigning the front upper cabinet(where the control center is located) to accommodate the control center(I love this feature on these Avions) and have wall space for the head unit. The condenser will go on the tongue.

Anyone have experience with a mini split in their Avion that wishes to chime in? I’m all ears.
John

https://comfortup.com/products/gree-duc ... k-sapphire
1981 34V
KYAvion
Site Admin

Re: Mini Split Install: Tips-Tricks-Ideas?

Post by KYAvion »

I’ve never used a mini split in an Avion, but my concern with it above the door is that conditioned air wouldn’t make its way to the rear of the trailer very well.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Johnatron

Post by Johnatron »

I understand the concern, hence why I’m considering locating it in the front. But, this unit does direct airflow 180* horizontally with swinging louvers. Also, I have removed the wall that partitions the mid bedroom from the front and plan to add a fan or two to aid in air circulation.
I guess the only way to know for certain is to try it out. Although, I’m kinda leaning towards putting it in the front.
1981 34V
Salty

Post by Salty »

question: why 240 VAC?
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
Johnatron

Post by Johnatron »

There are many more options for 240v systems. I haven’t run across many 115v, 12k BTU systems that deliver a high SEER rating. I’ll be upgrading to a 240v/50amp power center anyways. Between the fridge(small residential unit) microwave, A/C, my wife’s hairdryer and flat iron, and my occasional use of a 240v welder, other power tools, live music gear, and random small electronic devices. I’d rather not have to throttle usage too much by sacrificing certain devices. Also, operating constantly at max output(3,600watts) is asking for trouble. Having 12,000 watts available will be plenty safe.
1981 34V