Veneer damaged to doors.

Floor Repair, Inner Skins, Furnishings, Interior Finishes
Soonergirl66

Veneer damaged to doors.

Post by Soonergirl66 »

Not sure about how to restore cabinet doors with damaged veneer. One way would be to remove the door and have a local Amish craftsman remove and replace the veneer. Another approach would be to have another local cabinet maker replace the entire door. Alternatively, I’ve thought of removing just the loose veneer and patching with filler. I plan to refinish and do a pickling/white wash stain followed by a lacquer finish that won’t yellow with age. It would only involve two doors. Cost is a consideration but appearance trumps. Thanks in advance.
Attachments
395F3313-970D-40C8-9510-05D260DF88F7.jpeg
6A152C6C-0727-4D14-9AF4-5161D479C031.jpeg
7A7761A7-D772-4728-B6FF-0604F59F1C0E.jpeg
silverloaf

Re: Veneer damaged to doors.

Post by silverloaf »

My first choice is to replace the doors. From your pics, it appears the doors have 30-45 degree beveled edges on all sides. A good table saw would make this a quick job.

To avoid seeing open spaces on the edges, I would use solid core plywood material. A cabinet shop should have plywood cut-offs without the need to purchase a full sheet.

The other option is have new veneer installed. However, I would remove all loose pieces of veneer and fill the gaps. Otherwise, the veneer might not lay uniformly on the door.
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
Salty

Post by Salty »

I have had tremendous success re-skinning doors. This may seem radical, but my doors are hallow. I suspect yours are as well. I used 3/16 pecan plywood, but choose a wood you like/matches.
Cut the offending face off of the door. If you stay an inch or so from the edges, once you have the heart cut out of the door, then you can snap off the remaining 1 inch by hand. It actually works very well. In this way, you aren't sanding the plywood off the frame edges.
I used an oscillating saw to cut the fascia off.That way you have better control.
You will find some cross supports inside the door, so be cautious as you cut over them - don't cut them off, just cut deep enough to cut the fascia plywood.
Once that is done, sand down the edges and the supports. Cut your replacement piece and glue it on.
It takes about 3 hours to cut the fascia off, sand and glue down the new fascia.
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
Overdrive

Post by Overdrive »

If the doors are solid run them through a planer. Then simply put new veneer face on the doors.

A shop should be able to make those doors since they are plain with a bevel edge it’s nothing crazy.

You can always sand them fill the gouges sand again then put some veneer face or paint the doors
Soonergirl66

Post by Soonergirl66 »

Thank you for the reply. I believe the doors to be solid. They appear to be plywood with a Baltic birch veneer. Although I don’t have a planer, I know someone that does. I haven’t done veneer application before, but willing to learn.