How Much Room Is Enough

Anything related to traveling with an Avion
Gary Potter

How Much Room Is Enough

Post by Gary Potter »

Now that I know the numeric in the Avion model nomenclature is the trailer length from the tip of the hitch to the back of the bumper, it appears that a 30 will fit into my newly constructed 20 x 32 storage barn. I've not been able to find out how to compute the amount of room needed for a 90 degree turn while backing a trailer based on the trailers length. Anyone here care to share some insight? I can see many practice sessions are in my future.
Retirement is underrated
'Dewey' an '84 30P
Gary Potter
KYAvion
Site Admin

Re: How Much Room Is Enough

Post by KYAvion »

This past summer I set up a piece of land for our trailer. Along the main stretch of driveway I did a section of driveway at 90 degrees so I can pull in forward, and then back up the remainder of the driveway to a camp spot. For the turn around, I calculated the length of the trailer plus the length of our tow vehicle plus another 10 feet or so, resulting in about 55 feet. I also made the 90 degree connection of the drives sweeping so the angles aren't sharp. I've found this length to be adequate, but I don't think I'd want much less. Any less and it might be difficult to begin initiating the turn as I gradually back up. That said, it works fine as is, but there's times when I've had to pull forward, adjust a little, back up, etc., but I'm still getting the hang of it. I pretty much need to be dead center in the turn around to make the cut and keep my vehicle out of the grass along the side. Also, the wider your driveway the easier this is. My main driveway is about 12 feet wide and the turn around is about 18 feet wide. I can doublecheck the measurements this weekend or next if you'd like.

When you zoom in you can see the turn around in this pic.

IMG_2244.JPG
IMG_2244.JPG (71.65 KiB) Viewed 1558 times
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Gary Potter

Re: How Much Room Is Enoug

Post by Gary Potter »

In order to be able to see what's happening, I'll have to back in on the street which isn't a problem. The street is about 20 ft wide. The backup 90 degree turn is into an 18 ft wide driveway. The storage barn is a straight shot about 60 ft. I don't know if there's enough room for the 90 degree turn. It's a COE property. The lot is approx .25 acre.

Where's your property? It looks delightful. Our little piece is on Lahe Texoma.
Retirement is underrated
'Dewey' an '84 30P
Gary Potter
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Red River Gorge, KY.

So if I'm understanding correctly, you'd be on a road that's about 20 feet wide, and backing into a driveway that's about 18 feet wide? If that's the case, then you won't have any problems (unless the road is lined with parked cars). That's a lot more width than what I'm working with.

BTW, did you find a trailer?
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Gary Potter

Post by Gary Potter »

I'll have to look into Red River Gorge...Might make a good summer trip from N TX

I encouraged. Thinking about practice time makes me smile. Can always fall back on a motorized dolly if all else fails.

No trailer yet. Got a few good leads from Facebook. Very little near by Vegas. Not ready to throw in the towel.
Retirement is underrated
'Dewey' an '84 30P
Gary Potter
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

The Red is great, but best to plan a visit in the fall.

Hang in there, and if you can look at trailers even if they aren't the one. That will make you more prepared when you do find the right one. I know the driving time can be a hassle, but other than that it can be pretty fun. With our first Airstream (a 79), we looked at various trailers for at least six months. With our Avion, we got lucky and found what we wanted within about a month. I was checking Craigslist daily though.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Gary Potter

Post by Gary Potter »

People actually use it? Creeps me out. They have a master search for all the cities? I'd have to give that a try.
Retirement is underrated
'Dewey' an '84 30P
Gary Potter
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

We bought our Avion via Craigslist, went 1000 miles to get it. You DO have to be vigilant.
Also bought our 1995 PowerStroke F250 via CL, although locally. Oh, and our 1981 Bronco..... and..... and..... and......
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

While a lot of people these days are on FB, I think there's still a good number of people that aren't. Try searchtempest, a tool for utilizing Craigslist across multiple cities. EBay would be worth looking at too.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Tarnished

Post by Tarnished »

Bought my Avion from a craigslist add.