So so day for Avion shopping

A general discussion forum
Salty

So so day for Avion shopping

Post by Salty »

So some of you are aware that I'm shopping for an Avion. Preference would be for a 34XB. Well, that's my holy grail anyway.
So todays travels bring me to Houma, Louisiana. Here I find not an Avion, but a 1998 A/S 34' classic limited FK

https://houma.craigslist.org/rvs/d/1995 ... 52797.html

nice. tires are good , no leaks, most appliances work (Factory Washer dryer was iffy.) rear queen. Door was damaged when some one tried to break into it. Title is current and clean. More enticing, it's a Texas title, so no problems (read extra charges) to transfer the title $16K. Needs a good wash and polish. Decals are a bit scratched.
I liked the FK

After looking at that, I had a good long look at the pictures for the 1987 Avion 34V in Virginia.

https://knoxville.craigslist.org/rvd/d/ ... 37269.html

Called the seller and we are progressing toward an agreement, he's not too up on transferring money via paypal . He gave me the name & number of someone to transport the trailer to Houston, but I couldn't reach them.I figure $1200 to transport.

Then I spoke with this guy whose ad is running on craigslist in fort smith. reference the drunk chat thread for that. I can't do business with him. Good luck to him.
so I'm down to two.
Why the rush? no reason. It's summer and if anything needs fixing, better to do it in summer than any other season. I imagine if I waited until September/October there might be more to pick from, since folks who are on the fence about selling don't want to pay for storage.
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
Razorback

Re: So so day for Avion shopping

Post by Razorback »

I'd vote for being patient and waiting for an Avion. You won't regret it.

Just my .02.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
Salty

Post by Salty »

I liked the front kitchen layout. What is it, a 32S that has a front Kitchen?
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Salty wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 10:13 pm I liked the front kitchen layout. What is it, a 32S that has a front Kitchen?
Yes. 32S.....
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
Rostam

Post by Rostam »

I'd vote for an Avion as well. Avion is no hype and all substance. Airstream is the exact opposite: lots of hype and very little substance. I have an engineering background and really appreciate when a lot of time and effort is spent on something that cannot necessarily be seen (frame, insulation, suspension, etc). Avion is that type of trailer. Airstream is all about looks: Beautiful trailer, great website, catchy commercials, and lots of history. You also have to deal with filiform corrosion, frame sag/separation, non-stop leaks, frame rust, floor rot, having no insulation, having not much interior/exterior storage, poor workmanship (cabinets/mirrors falling off when towing), and average towing performance. To me there is just no comparison.
1978 Avion 26-H
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Well said....
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
Salty

Post by Salty »

All good points.
the A/S is out (YAY! saved from the dark side!)
Door frame is $400
Door Jam is $400
USED door is $1000
installation is?
Hell, I work in the metal fab industry and I won't do it.
NEXT!

My tow vehicle is a 2013 Tahoe. Currently it has 169K miles on it - and it doesn't have a brake module on it for the moment.
that's an easy fix, but it isn't happening today and next week doesn't look good either.........
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

How is your tow capacity with your Tahoe? I've got a 2009 and it's rated at (if I remember correctly) 8200lbs. When my 30R is fully loaded, it does OK but I'd prefer a 3/4 ton. Just something to consider when looking at larger trailers. That said, I'd get the trailer you want and then deal with the tow vehicle.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

KYAvion wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 7:53 am How is your tow capacity with your Tahoe? I've got a 2009 and it's rated at (if I remember correctly) 8200lbs. When my 30R is fully loaded, it does OK but I'd prefer a 3/4 ton. Just something to consider when looking at larger trailers. That said, I'd get the trailer you want and then deal with the tow vehicle.
That's what we did: trailer first, then tow vehicle.

In our case, I had the truck built specifically for trailer tow. Also, my goal was to limit the stress and load applied to the powertrain and chassis at a cost-effective price point.

Although it's rated as a 1/2-ton model, it has a max tow rating of 11,500 lbs. I will never pull a trailer anywhere near the max. But the package gives me trans and engine oil coolers, bigger sway bars, slightly higher axle ratio, 36 gal gas tank, and all the trailer hook-up components.

I was going to order a 3/4-ton pick-up; it would contain a stiffer frame, beefier suspension, bigger brakes, etc. But the gas versions tend to be fuel hogs with and without towing; diesels are an $8-9K option and overkill for our application.

I still have 500 miles more break-in on the vehicle before hooking up the trailer.
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
Salty

Post by Salty »

Taking a trip tomorrow to see a 34V. I hope it's all it's alleged to be. I'll prolly have to repack the bearings at the least, possibly new tires (likely) Wish me luck
1987 34V
2000 Ford F250