Studs on Avions?

Floor Repair, Inner Skins, Furnishings, Interior Finishes
KansasJoe

Studs on Avions?

Post by KansasJoe »

I was wondering if Avions have stud walls and ceiling joist? The reason I am asking is because a while ago I bought a vintage Winnebago and found out in that time frame, they did not have studs or joists! Which made restoring one a total nightmare that I didn't want any part of so I took a loss and sold it.
I'm thinking the Avions do have studs and joists because of all the good reports I've heard about them. If so, does anyone know how far apart they are? Center to center?
Also, how think is the insulation? or what is the R-value?
Thanks!
silverloaf

Re: Studs on Avions?

Post by silverloaf »

KJ-

There are a number of topics under Interior Restorations that show pics of the Avion shell. Here's one below:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=711

The wall insulation shown is 2-part closed-cell polyurethane spray foam. Today's product has an R-value of approx. R-7 per inch. Given its decay over time and the variation in applied thickness (1/4"- 2"), I would put the wall R-value in Avion trailers at 2-7.

The hidden benefit of the spray foam is the stiffness it adds to the stud and wall cavity. It turns aluminum studs and 2 layers of skin into a structural insulated panel, something you won't find in any other trailer that I know of.

Of course, I don't know whether your trailer has the spray foam. It was pretty revolutionary at that time.
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
KansasJoe

Re: Studs on Avions?

Post by KansasJoe »

Thanks, that was helpful.